Jake Newberger is a professional tutor at Need a Tutor? in McLean, Virginia, where he has taught since 2007. As a recent graduate of Pennsylvania State University, Jake Newberger demonstrated his leadership skills as president of Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity. Earlier in his academic career, he was elected class president in his freshman through senior years at McLean High School.
Leadership itself has nothing to do with titles or income. Rather, it is the ability to articulate a great idea, organize a group, and bring concepts and goals to life. Styles of leadership vary, depending on the people and work setting, but strong leaders exhibit the following qualities and characteristics:
1. Respect. Leaders treat each individual in the organization with respect, regardless of the situation.
2. Honesty. An honest leader lets people know where they stand and sets an example for others to follow.
3. Communication. A leader has a vision and is able to clearly communicate that vision to others.
4. Confidence. Remaining calm and confident, even in difficult or challenging situations, inspires others to follow suit.
5. Passion. Good leaders love what they are doing, and their excitement is contagious.